Heathrow. The NewTerminal 2

The passenger experience needs comment. After my second outbound experience at the beginning of February and most recent return, I now feel qualified to at least offer some observations about Heathrow, and the new Terminal 2.

First and foremost, allow yourself plenty of time. Wear walking shoes, and if you have any walking or mobility issues, get help.

Terminal 2 now follows the newer design philosophy of a central hub with passenger and baggage handling, Security, Customs and Border Control, and of course, a Departure (Retail) Lounge located there. The actual Gates are located at remote locations, at satellite terminals. So when you are told your gate may be 15 minutes walk away - get going - 'cause they mean it!

I understand the operational benefit to that system however the need to keep inbound and outbound passengers separate during the entire process creates some strange effects, seemingly endless corridors connected to other endless corridors with sections of travelator (already some working and some not) and some 'breathtaking' elevation changes via massive banks of escalators plunging uninterrupted, from gate/concourse level to the underground corridor which takes you beneath runways, taxiways and hardstands. I for one would be intimidated by the prospect of negotiating these with small children and the 'extra' baggage usually associated. However there are elevators and those with small children or uncomfortable with heights would do well to seek them out.
Security - Since 9-11 we have all had to learn to adjust. Over time, thanks to shoe bombers and underwear bombers, sniffers, scanners and screeners most of us who travel by air know not to carry-on liquids. We charge batteries in our Mobil devices, wear clean socks without holes and pants that won't fall down without a belt, put laptops in their own trays and a host of other quirky little things to facilitate entry into the secure world of modern air travel.

I for one have no interest in being publicly 'felt-up' by a complete stranger nor for the contents of my carry-on bag being unpacked sniffed, swabbed and rescanned then dumped into a plastic tray for me to repack.

Perhaps it is my fault ( as my Wife would have me believe), maybe I look guilty, or maybe it's because my 'electronics' kit is old. I have a laptop, tablet, digital camera, two phones and way more chargers, cables and adapters etc. than I would like ( No i-phone and i-pad for me!) but. THERE IS NO 'CONTRABAND'.

In the States, about one time in four my carry-on bag gets searched, which I think is about right for the complexity of its contents. Heathrow however, it's every single time! I have yet to clear Heathrow Security in less than 20 minute of being 'hustled' through the Portal by somebody in a wannabe police uniform.

For those of us who have wondered at the way victims can so readily be herded and bullied in an unfamiliar environment by a mere handful of authority figures. The Security screening process at Heathrow is at the least vaguely discomforting and more than a little demeaning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ignorance offers us no defense from stupid law

Heathrow by Morning

A New Constitution?