Heathrow by Morning

So, it's about six weeks on and I'm returning to the UK (UA659 DFW - IAH, UA921 IAH - LHR). The first leg was on United's updated Airbus designated 319. A good on time flight. As usual on US domestic, about 90 % full. First the seats, PLASTIC is about all I can say about them. The seat pitch had to be less than 30 inches (row 30) because it makes the 767-300 (row 36) I'm sitting in now seem commodious, and I never thought I would say that!
So, while my knees were pressed (all be it lightly) against the unyielding plastic, things could have been worse. There was no video screen running continuous commercials under my nose on the seat-back in front of me! It must have been pretty unpopular with others, not just me, plus the added benefit that it is cheaper and probably lighter. I think everybody wins there.

Wow, I was just interrupted by dinner and I have to say that it was .... okay. Now let me be clear, you don't fly Economy (certainly not on United) for the gourmet food, but the chicken was palatable, the rice, corn & carrots were okay, and a cold crisp lettuce salad is decent fare, and let's be honest, who doesn't enjoy Brownie for dessert. All in all, a creditable effort United.

At last, an update to the entertainment system ( software?) on the 767-300. The choice of movies seems reduced and while I was not impressed with the menu system it did work. We now have games and a rudimentary music system in addition to the video and map. the One small complaint is with the flight map. Although the display looks sharper than previous versions and the new data set offers more information the system seems to lag behind the aircraft by some little time, additionally, the maps offer lower resolution at each end of the flight. No big deal, but this feels more of a lateral move to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ignorance offers us no defense from stupid law

A New Constitution?